Are you bored with the cream of vegetables? Don’t you know what to do to make it palatable? I’m going to give you some tips on how to succeed with them. First, don’t put all your half-eaten vegetables in the fridge.
If you do, the puree won’t have a definite flavor. Also, only cook ‘vegetable cream’, in generic, with the wide variety that there is and that can solve several meals or dinners a week. You must know how to choose and combine no more than three or four vegetables. In this case, mushrooms and cauliflower go very well together.
Secondly, it is important to stir-fry or roast the vegetables before cooking them, so that you can enhance and bring out the nuances of their flavor. In this case, we have opted for the oven, which dries both the cauliflower and the mushrooms, while toasting them slightly; but in the pumpkin cream, caramelizing the vegetables by sautéing them for a long time is what gives the dish its great point.
Finally, I recommend adding spices and garnish. Seasoning a dish with some spices or others can totally change its taste. In this case, rosemary accentuates the mountainous flavor of the mushrooms. Garnish is essential to accompany vegetable cream recipes because it allows other textures and/or flavors to be introduced. In addition, a good garnish can turn cream into a unique dish.
Would you like to try this recipe for cream of cauliflower and roasted mushrooms? Prepare it and don’t forget to show me the result. And if you want, you can see other recipes for cream of vegetables.
Cream of Cauliflower and Roasted Mushroom Recipe
Ingredients (for 6 people):
- 600 grams of cauliflower
- 300 grams of shiitake mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 750 ml of soft broth
- 60 grams of cream cheese (2 tablespoons) or yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry rosemary
- Olive oil
- 4 teaspoons of pine nuts
- Cauliflower Trees
- Cheese snacks
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 180ºC with heat up and down. Clean the cauliflower and separate it into saplings. Wipe the mushrooms with a damp paper or cloth to remove any remaining dirt. Cut the onion into pieces.
Step 2: Put all the vegetables on a baking tray with the bottom soaked in oil. Pour a dash of oil over the vegetables and bake at a medium height for 45-50 minutes.
Step 3: Remove the tray, check that the onion and cauliflower trunks are tender (if they are not, bake for 10-15 minutes more) and pour the entire contents of the tray into a pan. Add the broth, cook for 10 minutes and mash.
Step 4: When you have a fine cream, add the cheese and beat again. Add the rosemary, mix and set aside. Before serving, sauté some pine nuts in a pan without oil, just until they start to brown. Also sauté some small cauliflower trees (very, very small) and some mushrooms, also small, to decorate.
Step 5: Serve the cream with the sautéed mushrooms and cauliflower, the pine nuts and the cheese snacks.
Tips for cooking the perfect cream of cauliflower and roasted mushrooms
- You can use the variety of mushrooms you prefer, even mixing several, but it is important that they are fresh mushrooms, they do not serve frozen or canned.
- Grind until very, very fine, it is important that it has a silky texture and no lumps.
- Watch out for quick-burning pine nuts when browning. We only want them to start to release their aroma and become slightly golden.
- The cauliflower trees in the garnish should be very small, less than 1 cm, because we are going to sauté them and they are almost raw. The contrast when eating them with the cream is very rich, but it is important that they are small.
- If you can’t find cheese snacks, you can make them homemade with this recipe for parmesan lollipops.
- You can make the cream in advance, it can last 3-4 days in the fridge in perfect condition.
Here’s how you can give this recipe a non-veg twist
Other Yummy Recipes: